Monday, December 31, 2001
Sunday, December 30, 2001
Friday, December 28, 2001
Monday, December 24, 2001
Saturday, December 22, 2001
The train of thought: listening to a tune called "The Wild Geese" on a Chieftains album (The Celtic Harp: A tribute to Edward Bunting), I recalled that my mom liked a tune that she called "The Wild Geese" but was, in fact, a theme from an Australian limited series from the seventies. All that I could remember was the basic idea of the show, Australian convicts; the general time, late seventies; and that "Wild Geese" was not the name of the tune
I started with imdb, and after a few false starts, searched 'filming locations' on the keyword Australia. I didn't have much hope for this, expecting an unmanageable number of returns and I was right, but scanning the years (which were thankfully included) "Against the Wind, 1978" popped right out. It was a short trip to this episode guide which led quickly to this bio of the composer and astoundingly, to an in-stock CD at Amazon.
This tune was a big hit at the time. Must have been on the same charts as Paul McCartney's Mull of Kintyre.
Friday, December 21, 2001
Thursday, December 20, 2001
Wednesday, December 19, 2001
Tuesday, December 18, 2001
Wednesday, December 12, 2001
Saturday, December 08, 2001
Thursday, November 29, 2001
Wednesday, November 28, 2001
Tuesday, November 27, 2001
The Monster Inc toys are spiffy optical illusions. When viewed from the front, they are nondescript but when lit from behind they take on a convincing 3D effect.
The Star Trek edition of Weakest Link was pretty amusing. Wil Wheaton was so not cool. And the most fatiguing part: during his exit interview, he claimed to have been putting on an act as an annoying young actor but hoped he didn't come off as too big a jerk! Argh! And his charity? The EFF! Jesus! Everybody else was playing on behalf of blind orphans and pediatric this and social that. Apparently they generated the highest score ever. In spite of William Shatner's horsing around. Actually, the most painful aspect was that LeVar Burton beat Robert Picardo.
Saturday, November 24, 2001
Saturday, November 17, 2001
Leave a message in the guestbook. --->
Wednesday, November 14, 2001
"Can you elaborate (on the image below -ed)?"
Why, yes I can:
William Stromberg is a conductor of film scores and he has conducted (for label Marco Polo) an amazing string of recordings of film scores that are otherwise unavailable. Unavailable usually means the original masters are lost or unusable.
Lots of those had to be performed from reconstructed (by listening to the movie and interpreting - a rare skill), from incomplete or un-annotated short score, or sometimes from scraps of parts scores.
They record using eastern European (ie cheap but skilled) orchestras, mostly the Moscow Symphony Orchesrta.
This will get you to a search result of 'Stromberg' on the Naxos (parent of Marco Polo) site.
Bill also has composer, orchestrater and arranger credits on some new-ish movies.
Saturday, November 10, 2001
Thursday, November 08, 2001
Wednesday, November 07, 2001
multiplied by n
(No cats were harmed in the production of this image. Professional cat on a closed course. Do not attempt. Side effects include, but are not limited to, furballs, lint, dustbunnies, nausea, baldness. Slight monsterism reported in less than 2% of users.)
Monday, November 05, 2001
- Someone's hat is split in two.
- Jack's hands descend from his sleeves.
- The screen is split into three panels.
- Someone besides Jack says 'Aku'
- Jack says 'mystical sword'
- Jack is hungry/thirsty/cold.
- Cartoony sound effect.
I When Aku is reborn to set forth his reign of terror, the Emperor’s son is sent off to learn the ways of the samurai. That boy becomes a man and attempts to slay Aku with a mighty sword, but Aku banishes him to the future.
II Jack arrives in the future and discovers the widespread evil of Aku and meets new allies.
III Jack gets weapons and beats back Aku’s army of beetles, saving the canine race of the future.
IV Jack encounters a race of cruel nerds.
V Jack defends a community of renegade scientists from Aku's minions.
VI A woman needs help to free her father from Aku.
VII Jack seeks a tower guarding a well that will grant any wish.
VIII Jack loses his temper when his sandal breaks. He also must fight his doppelganger.
IX Jack seeks a time machine in the lost city of Oceanus.
X Jack is lured to a mountain of traps.
XI Jack discovers that Aku has a bounty on others beside himself.
XII Gangsters. Water. Aku. Kitties.
Sunday, November 04, 2001
Friday, November 02, 2001
The camera that I am using is from LEGO. It's actually a Logitech product. The gizmo that makes it move is also LEGO. The design is included with the cam (but you'll need more parts.)
The controlling software is Webrick (there's a link under the cams screens.) I did very little tweaking to get it all going.
Having a reasonably stable DSL line has helped me.
Thursday, November 01, 2001
Wednesday, October 31, 2001
Tuesday, October 30, 2001
Monday, October 29, 2001
Wednesday, October 24, 2001
Saturday, October 20, 2001
Friday, October 19, 2001
Thursday, October 18, 2001
Tuesday, October 16, 2001
Monday, October 15, 2001
Thursday, October 11, 2001
Wednesday, October 10, 2001
Gali, Kopaka, Tahu, Onua, Pohatu and Tahu. Nokama, Whenua, Matau and Nuju. Huki, Jala, Matoro, Onepu and Kongu. The Comborider managed to escape, but sacrificed an arm. All the Roboriders and Turbo continue to prowl the lower levels. Jet flew away with Maku in its arms. The rest have been consigned to the Great Toy Chest in the Sky until the Next Play Date.
Tuesday, October 09, 2001
Gali has taken out Mr Shoulders with a lunge at his throat. Maku is in jeopardy between Spark and Jet. Millenium is beset by two Turaga and two Tohunga. Onua is about to toss Mr White over the edge. Pohatu, unsubtly, is kicking The Dog. Amazon is getting nowhere with the Turaga from the forest. Tahu and Lewa are having difficulty containing Langostino. Mr. Blue has been retired over a speaker. Mr. Gray stumbles toward the printer, neutralized. Scuba and Granite can't seem to get the better of a band of Tohunga. The fusion Comborider (airlifted by Mr. Wing?) has been overturned and is at the untender mercies of a pair of Tohunga mechanics. Mr. Wing has tumbled over the edge and is being protected by Blaster and Mr. Silly. Jala and Whenua don't seem to know what to do with Blaster. Electro and Spark are both in trouble although Ski may be about to deliver a sucker punch to an inattentive Tohunga. The Roboriders and Turbo, under the command of Blacklight, circle underneath looking to pick off anyone unlucky enough to fall from the desk. Up above, Kopaka has dealt another uncanny blow -- this time to the vulnerable knee of the fusion Throwbot.
Monday, October 08, 2001
Sunday, October 07, 2001
- 4 Black Connector 3 X 3 With Axle
- 2 Blue Connector 3 X 3 With Axle
- 2 Dark Grey Liftarm 1 x 7 with 2 Ball Joints
- 1 Green Arm Forked with Flexible Center and Ball Joint
- 2 Green Connector 3 X 3 With Axle
- 1 Green Gear Box
- 3 Green Liftarm 1 x 7 with 2 Ball Joints
- 4 Red Axle Joiner with Ball Housing
- 1 Teal Arm Forked with Flexible Center and Ball Joint
- 5 Teal Axle Joiner with Ball Housing
- 2 Teal Connector Block 3 x 3 x 1
- 1 Teal Gear 16 Tooth
- 2 Teal Throwbot Head
Pulled the sod from around the cherry tree. Sounds simple. And it would have been if the grass roots weren't tied up with cherry treee roots. Eesh.
Just tuned into the Mariners in time to hear the Star Spangled Banner. All I can say is Simpsons episode "Dancin' Homer."
Saturday, October 06, 2001
The washer, dryer, coffee grinder, dishwasher and bread machine were all running at the same time. The next step will be to involve the microwave somehow. Tricky timing that, though. Grand slam: coffee grinder and coffee maker both running at the same time for some reason.
I am a very dull person.
Wednesday, October 03, 2001
Tuesday, October 02, 2001
I wish I could say that the software controller failures were my clever way of preventing the cam from falling over, but I must confess that I have done nothing to prevent it. It's just a happy accident. (The author of the software corrected these problems a long time ago but I haven't installed the patched version. Don't blame Amnon.) Nature always finds a way.
The Blogger site has a pretty weird interface. "Post" is like a preview. "Publish" actually does a series of FTP events that are a lot like reaping and sowing.You'll get the hang of it with more exposure. But yes, it is weird.
Here's the deal with posting pictures: they must exist on an internet-accessible server. From there, you can link to them using HTML:
I hope that this cools your fevered brow.
- How many times has JAMES HORNER been nominated for an Academy Award and for which films was he nominated?
- BLACK SCORPION star Joan Severance had a cameo in what 1987 action film that spawned a series of successful sequels and who composed the score to that film?
- Name 4 OTHER Films that James Horner's score to BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS has appeared in (and PLEASE, no Goldsmith jokes)?
- What other film did James Horner score that BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS writer JOHN SAYLES wrote?
- In the STARGATE SG-1 episode, "THOR'S HAMMER," a famous actor played the voice of a cave dwelling creature. What was that actor's name and what was the characters name he voiced?
The contest is based on who submits the correct answers soonest. My entry went in sometime around twelve minutes past midnight.
Well, if I looked up stuff on IMDB correctly, it's
- Frira. Gvgnavp, Gvgnavp (fbat), Ncbyyb 26, Oenirurneg, Svryq bs Qernzf, Nyvraf, Nzrevpna Gnvy (fbat)
- Yrguny Jrncba, Zvpunry Xnzra
- Naql Pbyol'f Vaperqvoyr Nqiragher, Oneonevna Dhrra, Jvmneqf bs gur Ybfg Xvatqbz, Fcnpr Envqref.
- Ynql va Erq
- Wnzrf Rney Wbarf, Hanf
Monday, October 01, 2001
Sunday, September 30, 2001
Sunday, September 23, 2001
Saturday, September 22, 2001
Tuesday, September 18, 2001
Sunday, September 16, 2001
Alan Silvestri The Mummy Returns
Bernard Herrmann The Snows of Kilimanjaro / 5 Fingers
Carter Burwell A Knight's Tale
Danny Elfman Planet of the Apes
David Arnold The Three Musketeers
Elliot Goldenthal Final Fantasy - ORDERED Sep 25 2001
Howard Shore The Score
James Newton Howard Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Jerry Goldsmith The Last Castle
John Williams AI
John Williams Harry Potter
Lalo Scifrin Rush Hour 2
Malcolm Arnold The Roots of Heaven / David Copperfield
Marco Beltrami Dracula 2000
Ron Stein Invasion of the Saucer Man / It Conquered
Alejandro Amenabar The Others
Friday, September 14, 2001
Thursday, September 13, 2001
Wednesday, September 12, 2001
Tuesday, September 11, 2001
Although there has been plenty of talk on CNN about where the blame lies, until there are some verifiable facts, we simply don't know. The only possible response to this is to act through reason and clear thinking. Vengeance is not only dangerous and pointless, it's impossible.
Blowing up some remote compound, just to make a point about policy will not be sufficient. There must be a response, of course. It should be measured, just and practical. Althgough we will feel anger, we must not act or decide out of anger. We have to make our stand through our good works.
My personal form of retaliation will be to continue working and thinking how to build a better world as best as I can. That there are people so aggrieved, mad and inhuman enough to do what was done today will simply have to be accomodated in my efforts. I choose not to let this astonishing act of hatred drive me to hate. My revenge will be to love.
Saturday, September 08, 2001
She hands me the happy meal box. "Is the toy for a boy inside?" I ask.
"I don't know," she says. (What she actually said was "idoannoe," so that it rhymes with "Ivanhoe," but close enough.)
"Could I have a toy, please? For a boy." I feel that I will soon be trapped in a Dr. Suess-like hell of my own creation.)
"No girl toys. It's a crab." (Her completely charming accent rendered this "Ees a crrab.")
My confusion disappears. I now know that, if there is in fact a toy in the box, it's the desired Lego. I peek in and can just make out Onepu under the chicken nuggets. I bade the late-night window farewell.
The lesson is clear. Lego, even in Bionicle form, is not identified very closely with gender, at least in comparison with Mattel's "Micro-Divas," the unavailable girl's toy. But what Bionicles actually are supposed to be is not very apparent even when you're looking right at them. "Crab" is as good a guess as any.
Friday, September 07, 2001
And here are some happy villagers now. No doubt they are going to work together or something.
I hope nothing bad happens to them on the way back to their village.
- ► 2011 (99)
- ► 2009 (232)
- ► 2008 (475)
- ► 2007 (156)
- ► 2006 (225)
- ► 2005 (108)
- ► 2004 (78)
- ► 2003 (165)
- ► 2002 (206)
- Panobot lite is complete and tested. Details here....
- Another cat on the roof
- I have added my girlfriend's Intel Pocket PC camer...
- Another step forward for the webcam: Through the m...
- The internet does know all. The train of thought:...
- a Lego accident occurred during an impulse stop at...
- tasteless advertising
- Eureka! I finally found the squeak in my Nordic Tr...
- Enterprise: Tripp gets knocked up after an alien h...
- Unknown problems on a provider's network prevented...
- Camera was down for an unknown period between 3:00...
- No title
- Rock and tree
- Rock and tree
- Like a thunderstroke: a way to adjust the focus ri...
- Future toys for the webcam: bird feeder cam, cable...
- Hey Manjit and Vince, I can't get that South Park ...
- To the loyal viewers (you know who you are): Thank...
- I've set up a server that will allow the house aut...
- The webcam software has been updated and is runnin...
- The webcam controller will be down for the duratio...
- VS writes: "Can you elaborate (on the image below ...
- Bloggers watching bloggers blog
- Look DOWN to see the compass. Unfortunately, it bl...
- modded cat
- Events to look out for in the Samurai Jack drinkin...
- Extra-concise episode guide to Samurai Jack: (epis...
- The webcam was probably down all day Saturday beca...
- Hello Netherlands
- Hell Canada!
- My DSL ISP sold their dial-up service to Earthlink...
- Parallax View
- Boeing Surplus
- Faux screenshot from a Bionicle first-person game....
- Mars Fun Zone
- Before and After
- Quite an evening of celebration: many whiskeys at ...
- A couple of half-assed MOCs are in evidence: a bee...
- CDs Arrived
- Sure, I got laid off today, but that's no reason w...
- Another MOC. The main benefit of playing with thes...
- Amusing thread on MovieMusic.com. Confoundingly, I...
- Zoe's Tattoo
- The GNP contest has ended and I was a winner. A 3r...
- Left standing after the fracas:Gali, Kopaka, Tahu,...
- Melee between all manner of Lego action figures. L...
- Oh dear, I've discovered a real Pandora's box. Or ...
- What new deviltry has been ordered to plague the T...
- Watched the last episode of Morse last night. I'll...
- Kitchen accomplishment: The washer, dryer, coffee ...
- Kopaka, King of the Hill
- I laugh at the confusion among the foolish humans!...
- Manjit's Parents' Hellpups
- Kyle, your webcam STINKS. And so does this Blogge...
- Filmscoremonthly.com posted a trivia contest tonig...
- Ordered CDs
- How to remove a Toa brain
- Cat on the back porch:
- Unsatisfied with the combination of Jala and Onewa...
- Bad, bad MOC
- I'm happy to report that I have acquired examples ...
- What a beautiful portrait of the Blue Team.
- Blue Team
- No title
- Rearranged my office today (Many, many wires. So m...
- Scottish telepresence
- Another wish list. Although I can't say I'm terrib...
- Mine! All mine!
- Saw the recent Planet of the Apes at a matinee. Re...
- 9/11 reaction
- 9/11 reaction
- Is a Crab
- Parting out is such sweet sorrow
- ▼ December (14)