Thursday, June 05, 2008

Fun with Watercolors




I am a snob, I admit it. Almost everything is arranged into arbitrary hierarchies of worth with my own judgement and taste as the arbiter. This is mostly a waste of mental energy. For example, here is a typical set: Oil painting: difficult, shown in museums, good; watercolors: easier, shown in cafes, less good; tole painting, easy, shown in church rummage sales, not good. I haven't changed my mind about tole painting. Unless you are actually living in Pennsylvania in 1800-something, stop abusing the furniture! But I was checking out some watercolor sketches by Frazetta and realized that I liked them a lot. The fact that his watercolors are literally a kid's Disney-branded set made me like them more. So I found a Disney-branded set of watercolors (thanks chain drug store!) and gave it a go just to see what all the fuss is about. This is the third practice (made with tube paint, the dry kind annoyed me) and then I fiddled with it photoshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Apple(b)logue archive

Powered By Blogger